Friday, April 3, 2009

Can you wing it?? Yes we can...

On historical route 66 lies Barney's Beanery, home of $14 dollar pitchers and a 'decent happy hour' at a not so decent time. Seriously who on god's green earth is off and can get to Barney's before 7pm during the week and really take advantage of this 'happy hour'? If you can I hate you...lucky bastards.

Barney's has an amazingly large menu with tons of choice for everyone. The salads are good all the way up to the burgers but this isn't a story about those. On Thursday for the PSU vs. Baylor NIT Championship game I ate some typical bar foods and would like to let you know that if you are going to eat wings Barney's is top notch. 

Yes I lived in NY State for a year, and yes I've been to buffalo, and yes I am spoiled with the wings back east. BUT if you are going to eat a wing, Barney's is very good. I get mine crispy with extra sauce and blue cheese, which I feel is the only proper way to do it. You do not have to worry about ordering drums only like you do at Hooters (which is really only good for their 9-1-1 Chicken sandwiches and well...Hooters) because all they give you is drumlettes, very large drumlettes at that. Which is the only fault I find. Yes I LOVE getting my moneys worth like the next man, and with this recession you gotta get as much as you can, but if they DON'T make them crispy for you they just turn out like big too chewy slaps of salmonella. If they were slightly smaller than they would be money all the time. This is not my first time but when they are busy they tend to not care about how crispy they make them for you.

I also despite always being disappointed ordered the mozzarella sticks. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment but I never like them. Not that there is anything wrong with the actual stick, they are just NEVER cooked enough. I want a molten bite of stringy cheese when I eat the thing. I want to burn my mouth and have a piece of melted cheese not break away from its self and swing back and  burn my face. But nope, never happens.



Final Bite: The wings are good and depending on your wing palate they can be great. Definitely something to order if you want some good bar food. The mozzarella sticks should be passed on, but I am sure I will order them again in hopes of cooked to perfectioness.

Barney's Beanery
8447 Santa Monica Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069
323.654.2287

No comments: